Our Autonomous Technologies group specializes in bridging traditional legal structures with emerging decentralization and self-governance technologies such as blockchain, smart contracts, DAOs, oracles, artificial intelligence, 3D printing and automated information security.
We provide end-to-end legal solutions in the structuring and execution of dual token/equity venture finance transactions, DAO formation and governance, product compliance counselling and M&A, joint ventures and other strategic and commercial transactions involving autonomous technologies projects and companies, including:
- Advising early stage blockchain companies on capital raising, including both token sales and traditional equity investments;
- Creating tax-efficient structures for acquisitions and sales of digital assets;
- Regulatory aspects of product design for new cryptographic tokens or blockchain networks;
- Regulatory and tax aspects of automated investment advising services driven by AI and machines and new crowdfunding marketplaces;
- Negotiating and implementing tax-efficient IP licensing agreements;
- Business-oriented IP and Privacy-Law strategic counseling;
- Integrated patent and trademark prosecution; and
- Advising buyers and sellers in M&A transactions involving autonomous technologies.
Each of us also regularly plays a role as special counsel, collaborating with other service providers and in-house counsel to advise on discrete areas of a transaction or legal issue. Our Autonomous Technologies practice is led by Gabriel Shapiro, a thought leader in corporate and securities law issues relating to blockchain, smart contracts, cryptocurrencies and DAOs and Jon Van Loo, an expert in cryptocurrency tax issues who regularly publishes and speaks on these topics.